The T-38 was a Soviet amphibious light tank of the Second World War period. An improved version of the T-37A light tank, the T-38 was produced from 1936 till 1939. 1,228 tanks were built in 1936-1937, and another 112 - in 1939.
Trials showed that the T-37A had a limited range and unreliable transmission and running gear, which could cause its tracks to fall off while on the move. An improved version of this tank - the T-38 - was supposed to fix these flaws. The turret was moved from the right-hand side of the tank to the left, which switched the driver and commander positions. The T-38 was armed with a 7.62mm DT machine gun.
The tank was designed for reconnaissance and infantry support. Due to its ability to swim, it had a good long-range mobility. It was also intended to be air-portable; in 1936 the T-38's were mounted under the fuselage and transported by Tupolev TB-3 bombers during the Kiev maneuvers. However, due to the thin armour and a single machinegun, the T-38's use in combat was limited. It was also incapable of carrying the weight of two infantrymen while floating; overloads of 120-150kg would sink the vehicle.
The Red Army used the T-38 in 1940, during the Winter War with Finland. Its armament and thin armour made the tank unsuccessful; it was easily penetrated by the fire of rifles and light machine guns. The Germans captured large numbers of T-38's during Operation Barbarossa. During WWII, the main amphibious scout vehicle of the Soviet Union was the U.S. Ford GPA amphibious jeep provided through Lend-Lease.
Item No: 83865
Item Name: Soviet T-38 Amphibious Light Tank
Item Type: Static kit
Model Dimensions: Length 113mm, Width 67.8mm
Total Plastic Parts: 340+
Total Sprues: 15 sprues, lower hull and turret
Metal Parts: Brass wire
Photo Etched Parts: 1 pcs
Release Date: 2015-06
- The kit consists of over 340 parts
- Multi-directional slide moulded turret and lower hull
- Photo-etched parts included
- Individual track links
Academy 1:35 - T-34/76 No. 183 Factory Production - Plastic Model Kit #13505
The Soviet medium tank T-34 was the most produced tank of WWII that replaced many light and medium tanks in service with the Red Army. The initial version of the T-34 was equipped with a powerful 76.2 mm gun, and is often called the T-34/76.
Most of these tanks were produced at Factory No.183 which in September 1941 was evacuated from its original location in Kharkiv to Nizhniy Tagil when it became clear that Kharkiv was in danger of falling to the Germans. Factory No.183 in Nizhniy Tagil (Uralskiy Tankovyj Zavod, Ural Tank Factory) produced just over 15 thousand of the T-34/76 tanks. By the end of WWII, T-34's comprised at least 55% of the Soviet tank production. In the beginning of the war this figure was 4%.
When Germany launched the invasion of the Soviet Union, the T-34 was superior to any German tank and destroying T-34's in combat proved to be very difficult. However, the Red Army had still lost large numbers of these new tanks in 1941 due to the tactical and operational skills of the Germans as well as mechanical breakdowns which accounted for at least 50% of Soviet tank losses at the time. In the following years the T-34 saw a number of improvements while Germany continued to develop anti-tank guns capable of penetrating the T-34's armour. By 1943, the 76.2 mm gun was unable to penetrate the armour of the new German tanks and the Soviet Union began the production of the improved version of the T-34, the T-34/85.
Markings are provided for five options:
T-34/76, Unidentified Unit, Prokhorovka, July 1943
T-34/76, 264th Armoured Brigade, Ukraine, December 1943
T-34/76, Unidentified Unit, Kursk, July 1943
OT-34/76, Unidentified Unit, Pskov, Recovered in 2006
OT-34/76, Unidentified Unit, Unknown Area
Tank dimensions: Height 73 mm, Length 193 mm
Box size: 403 x 264 x 68 mm
Download the instruction manual here.
Academy 1:35 - T-34/85 Factory Production Version - Plastic Model Kit #13290
Perfect as a Berlin Assault tank or a Korean War unit. The T-34/85 entered production in 1944 as an improvement over the T-34/76. It featured heavier armour to withstand the increased firepower of the latest German tanks, a larger turret to house the new 85mm S-53 main gun, and internal stowage for 56 rounds of ammunition. The T34/85 was also equipped with 2x 7.62mm machine guns. Powered by a 12 cylinder diesel engine, the T-34/85 could move at speeds of up to 55 kph.
The T-34 was a Soviet medium tank that is generally considered as having had significant impact on tank design and development. The T-34 is often credited as the most effective, efficient and influential tank design of the Second World War. At the time of it's initial deployment he T-34 had an impressive combination of armament, speed, armour and toughness. The T-34 was armed primarily with a 76.2 mm (3 in) high-velocity gun which provided a substantial increase in firepower over any of its contemporaries; its heavy sloped armour was difficult to penetrate by most anti-tank weapons of the period. When first encountered in 1941, the German tank general von Kleist called it "the finest tank in the world" and Heinz Guderian confirmed the T-34's "vast superiority" over existing German armour of the time.
The T-34 was the primary vehicle of the Soviet armoured forces throughout World War II. The design allowed it to be constantly refined to meet the changing needs of the Eastern Front conflict: as the war progressed it became more capable, but also quicker and cheaper to produce. The Soviet Union would eventually produce more than 80,000 T-34s (all variants), allowing more and more to be deployed as the war continued despite losing great numbers to the Wehrmacht. The development of the T-34 led directly to the T-54 and T-55 series of tanks, which in turn evolved into the T-62, T-72, and T-90 that form the armoured mainstay of many modern armies. T-34 variants were widely exported after World War II and up to 1996 were still in service in at least 27 countries.
Features and options:
Detailed spring suspension in hull
Link and length track for ease of assembly/painting
Hull details including spare track links, fuel cells, stowage
Choice of circa 1945 or circa 1950 turret
Casting detail captured on turret surface
Choice of tall or short Commanders cupola
Positionable crew hatches
Markings are provided for six examples:
T-34/85, 904, Berlin, Germany, May 1945
T-34/85, M08, Berlin, Germany, May 1945
T-34/85, Yugoslavia, 1945
T-34/85, 738, North Korean Army, 1950
T-34/85, 229, North Korean Army, 1950
T-34/85, 'Knocked Out 20 July 1950 Under the Supervision of Major General WF Dean'
The set consists of six colours designed for painting camouflage patterns that are most commonly used on vehicles of the Russian army and armed forces of post-Soviet states. These colours can also be seen on vehicles of the late Soviet era. These paints are water soluble, which will help you avoid odours typical of more aggressive, solvent-based paints. They are suitable for both brush and airbrush use, and the special AK-Interactive formula helps prevent airbrush blockages.
AK-4008 Black Grey
AK-4131 Greyish Yellow
AK-4132 Mustard Yellow
AK-4133 Pale Grey
AK-4134 Green Khaki
AK-4135 Base Green
This combo pack contains three acrylics designed for painting most of the Soviet tanks of World War II. These are the three basic colours suitable for painting vehicles from T-34 to SU-100. AK Interactive paints have been developed under a very strict quality test to achieve the most precise colour, high resistance and ease of use.
AK746 4BO Russian Green
AK747 6K Russian Brown
AK748 7K Russian Tan