Academy 1:35 - U.S. Tank Destroyer M36B1 - Plastic model kit #13279
The M36 tank destroyer, also known as the '90mm Gun Motor Carriage - M36', was an American tank destroyer used during World War II. The M36 was essentially an improved M10, replacing the M10's 3 inch (76.2mm) M7 with a more powerful 90mm gun.
The vehicle first began to appear in September 1944 in European Operations. About 1,400 M36's were produced in total during the war. The requirement for 90mm gunned tank destroyers was so urgent that during late 1944, 187 conversions of the standard Medium Tank M4A3 (Sherman tank) hulls were produced by Grand Blanc Arsenal. These were designated M36B1, rushed to operations and used in combat alongside other M36's.
The M36 proved to be a match for any German tanks. It also later saw use in the Korean War, and was able to defeat any of the Soviet made tank armour it faced. Some were supplied to Korea as part of the MAP (Military Assistance Program), others served in Yugoslavia, which operated into the 1990s, two remained in service with the Republic of China Army until 2001.
American soldiers referred to M36's as TD's or 'tank destroyers'. The US Army assigned the nickname Jackson in 1944 to honour the Civil War Confederate General, but this name did not stick during the war, only becoming popular later in the 1970s.
10 plastic sprues
1 small photo-etched fret
1 length of string
1 small decal sheet
Academy 1:35 - M3 Stuart "Honey" British version (Replaces ACA01399) - Plastic Model Kit #13270
The M3 Stuart was an American light tank that had been delivered to British forces by the US Government during WWII, before the Americans officially entered the war. Subsequently it was deployed by the Allies until the capitulation of Germany.
"Stuart" was a nickname given in reference to James Stuart, an American Confederate States Army general of the Civil War. When a British tankman saw the tank for the first time, he remarked "She's a honey". That name stuck and in British service the M3 was often referred to as "Honey".
Compared to the previous Light Tank M2, the Stuart had an improved suspension, better gun recoil mechanism and thicker armour, unusual for a light tank. The vehicle was armed with a 37mm M5 gun (which was later replaced with a longer M6 version) and a several Browning machine guns. The tank production lasted from 1941 to 1943.
In 1941 the British army had 700 Stuart tanks in service, 170 of which were deployed in Operation Crusader in North Africa. Though Stuarts surpassed most of the Axis tanks in many respects, the operation was unsuccessful due to the poor tactics of British troops.
In the following years the British usually avoided using Stuarts in tank-to tank fights, deploying them mostly in reconnaissance operations. In some cases the turret was removed for the sake of lighter weight and better mobility (such versions were known as "Stuart Recce"), some other units were transformed to either armoured personnel carriers ("Stuart Kangaroo") or command vehicles ("Stuart Command"). The M3 served with the British army till the end of the war, though in smaller numbers than those used by the Americans.
Academy 1:35 - M36/M36B2 US Army "Battle of the Bulge" - Plastic Figure Model Kit #13501
The American tank destroyer M36 was designed in 1943 when the US Army needed a powerful vehicle to combat German Panther and Tiger tanks. This new tank was nicknamed "Jackson" in reference to the Confederate General of the Civil War, Stonewall Jackson. The M36's turret mounted the 90 mm gun M3 allowing the tank to nail down any known German tanks at 1000 to 2500m range depending on the armour thickness. However, due to its open-top turret the tank was vulnerable to shell fragments and snipers. Field modifications, particularly additional roof iron plating, were hastily performed by the crews. Later on folding panels were developed for protection against shell fragments, these were adopted by the M36B2.
- Can be built as M36 or M36B2
- 90mm main gun
- .50 caliber machine gun
- Over 600 plastic parts
- Photo-etched parts included
- Detailed driver's station
- Detailed hull interior with crew and ammo stowage
- Detailed turret interior including stowage and gun breech
The following markings are provided:
- M36, US Army 82nd Airborne Div, Belgium, 1944
- M36, US Army 703rd TD, Belgium, 1944
- M36, US Army 2nd Cavalry, Germany 1945
- M36B2, ROK Army, 53rd Tank Company, 1953
- M36B2, France Régiment Blindé Colonial d'Extrême-Orient, Tonkin, 1951
- M36B2, France Régiment Blindé Colonial d'Extrême-Orient, Tonkin, 1953
Download the manual here
Academy 1:35 - M4A3 76mm US Army "Battle of the Bulge" - Plastic Figure Model Kit #13500
The Medium Tank M4 Sherman was commonly used by the United States and other Western Allies during WWII. The tank was produced in large numbers, with thousands distributed through the Lend-Lease program to the British Commonwealth and Soviet Union. The British called the M4 'Sherman' after the American Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman.
During the Second World War, about 19,247 Sherman tanks were issued to the US Army and about 1,114 to the US Marine Corps. Moreover, the U.S. supplied 17,184 tanks to Great Britain, some of which went to the Canadians and the Free Poles. The Soviet Union received 4,102 vehicles and an estimated 812 were transferred to China. These tanks were distributed to the respective countries' allied nations.
The M4A3 was a sub-type of the Sherman tank. It featured a welded hull and was powered by a Ford GAA engine. Its armament consisted of a 76mm cannon and a 12.7mm machine gun. This variant was mainly deployed by the US Army with only a few units sent to France and Nicaragua. A number of these tanks took part at the Battle of Bulge in December 1944.
Check out a step by step video of building this kit here
Download the manual here
- Engine deck, VVSS suspention (late version) and accessories newly tooled
- Main canon and 12.7mm machine gun accurately reproduced
- T48 duckbill tracks included
- Photo-etched parts and 6 marking options included
Academy 1:35 - M7 105mm SPG Priest - Plastic Model Kit #13210
The M7 Priest, a 105 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage was an American self-propelled artillery vehicle used during World War II by US, British and French forces. It was named Priest by the British Army because of the pulpit-style machine gun ring, and following on in theme from the Bishop and the contemporary Deacon self-propelled guns.
Download the manual here
- 318 parts (316 in olive green coloured styrene, 2 in steel coloured vinyl)
- Photo-etched parts and 4 marking options included
- 2nd Armored Division, US Army, Sicily, July 1943
- Battery B, 14th AFAB, 2nd Armoured Division, US Army, Nomandy, July 1944
- 11th Regt, Royal Horse Artillery, 1st Armoured Division, El Alamein, 1942
- 31st Firing Battery, 64 RADB, 2nd Armoured Division, French Army, France, Sept 1944